- Selling Your Home
Sell Your Home: When and How to Get Started
Your home is one of your most important financial assets - so when it comes time to sell it, make sure you have a professional by your side to help you maximize its value and protect your interests. A Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices New England REALTOR® can help you navigate the selling process so you feel confident every step of the way.
What Improvements Will Increase My Home's Value?
The kitchen is the heart of the home, so it's no surprise that a kitchen makeover is the #1 home improvement you can make to capture higher resale value. Even if you can't spring for granite countertops and new cabinets, minor upgrades like replacing faucets and light fixtures can make an impact.
Bathroom upgrades also offer a big payback. Consider replacing worn flooring and re-grouting tiles to give your bathroom an instant facelift.
Rounding out the top 5 home improvements that will boost home value are:
- Replacing major appliances
- Improving storage options in bedrooms, pantries and entry closets (this can be particularly helpful in older homes)
- Converting a seldom-used den or office space into a new bedroom, simply by adding a closet; there can be a substantial difference in list price between a 3-bedroom home and a 4-bedroom home of the same size
- Trust your intuition.
- Interview more than one agent if you are unsure.
Get Three Instant Home Value Estimates:
- Initial Consultation: Find a qualified local REALTOR® to represent you. Determine your needs and priorities. Discuss marketing plan and establish a pricing strategy.
- Review Comparative Market Analysis® Find a qualified local REALTOR® to represent you. Determine your needs and priorities. Discuss marketing plan and establish a pricing strategy.
- Prepare Your Home for Viewing: Decide which renovations need to be done. Your REALTOR® can help you stage your home to make the best first impression.
- Show Property: It is important for buyers to feel comfortable so you may want to leave the house while it's being shown.
- Review Offers & Reach Agreement: Your REALTOR® will discuss proposed terms and conditions and negotiate counter-offers as needed.
- Complete Settlement Process per Purchase Contract: Conduct a title search and preliminary report to buyer. Complete inspections and remove remaining contingencies. Complete remaining transfer of funds.
When is the Best Time to Sell My Home?
Time of year is an important consideration for home sellers. While you may have personal considerations (such as a job transfer) that require you to sell quickly, it's best to time your listing to take advantage of seasonal and economic conditions. A little flexibility can go a long way!
Homes typically look their best during the warmer months - landscaped grounds and walkways can be very attractive to buyers. The picturesque early fall can also be a good time to sell your home.
Selling your house during periods of low interest rates can work in your favor, as buyers will be better able to obtain mortgage loans. Pent-up demand and periods of low unemployment also ensure a ready pool of potential home buyers.
Thinking of selling your house? For an assessment of current conditions plus much more, contact us today.